The Bersey Warehouse, 293-295 Old Street
Michael Barclay Partnership
The Bersey Warehouse is situated on the prominent corner of Coronet Street and Old Street. The building was built at some stage between 1913 and 1939 for the use of a textiles company.
Aviva acquired the building alongside another three buildings within Hoxton Square. Their vision was that each property would offer something different, allowing their employees a range of facilities within a close proximity. This space was to feature a gym.
We were appointed to refurbish the previous textile factory to a Cat B office fit out. The works included the extension of an existing basement and the addition of two new upper floors, creating a set of office spaces within the existing building for Aviva's use.
On acquiring the property, it was in a poor state of repair both internally and externally. The property comprised a three storey former warehouse.
It had a rendered façade at ground floor level, and was faced in brick on the upper two storeys, which are punctuated with green factory style windows. Construction included the addition of two storeys on top of the existing three storey building.
Most of the building will be used for office space, with restaurant and retail space on the ground and basement floors. One of the added storeys is in keeping with the original brick style, while the other features a glazed pavilion and terrace.